Sunday, January 20, 2008

There Will Be Blood... (and there was!)


So I saw another movie this weekend - one I'd wanted to see for a few weeks now, but was only able to catch it now. I almost drove up to L.A. to see this film, but now I'm glad I didn't.

There Will be Blood

I don't want to say I didn't like the film - it kept me engaged all throughout and the performances were certainly top-notch. But was I satisfied when the credits began to roll? Not quite. I felt that this film had a similar tone to the amazing new Coen Brothers picture: No Country For Old Men (it was actually shot in the same county in Texas). But I felt like the main character (and I struggle with calling him a "protagonist" or an "antagonist"), Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) was at one moment understandable and sympathetic, and the next a total monster - an alien demon with whom I related very little.

And what did I get out of the whole story? I can't quite say. I usually love Paul Thomas Anderson's films (screenwriter and director of this film, as well as Boogie Nights and Magnolia), but perhaps the young filmmaker has matured to a point that his poetry flies right over my head.

One thing's for sure, though - I won't soon forget a single shot of this film. It's beautifully photographed, edited and scored (the latter by Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood), and the final scene has still got me feeling tense!

I don't even know if I liked the movie, but I certainly liked the ride while I was on it. Weird review, huh? Yeah - well... weird movie.

No comments: