Thursday, May 29, 2008

Music Mix #26

I've been making "Music Mixes" since I was about 19 and now, 8 years later, I'm up to 26 of these bad boys!

This one is a pretty cool mix. It has a few guilty pleasures on there, but you'll feel just as guilty and enjoy them as much as I do, I'm sure. I've written some tidbits about each track below the player.






1. R.E.M. - Living Well Is The Best Revenge
Just a good ol' rock n roll song. I really love it. Great way to start any compilation. Listen for the very complimentary backing vocals in the chorus.

2. Coldplay -
Viva La Vida
If the iPod ads haven't ruined it for you yet, you'll know this is a pretty good Coldplay song. The orchestral strings change up their usual sound and a powerful chorus makes this instantly one of my favorite from these guys.

3. The Raconteurs -
Salute Your Solution
What a rocker! This band is something special. Their whole second album -
Consolers Of The Lonely - is pretty amazing. Jack White and Brendan Benson sound pretty similar as they exchange lead vocal duties on this track, but it all adds up to a really rockin' tune.

4. Mötley Crüe -
Saints of Los Angeles
Theeeeeeey're baaaaaaaack! And The Crue is in rare form on this one. Tight as ever and rockin' like there's no tomorrow. Enjoy!

5. Death Cab For Cutie -
I Will Possess Your Heart (Radio Edit)
As great as this tune is, I wasn't able to appreciate it fully until I saw the video. It's very simple, but seems to tell a decent story somehow. And seeing the band perform it with some great cinematography helped me dig them even more. The original track is over 8 minutes long, but you still get the idea of how catchy the tune is in this shorter radio edit version.

6. Madonna -
4 Minutes (feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland)
One of the guilty pleasures - it's a great little dance tune. Totally poppy in all the right ways. I liked the video, too.

7. Nine Inch Nails -
Discipline
You won't find this one on iTunes... because there's no money to be made from it. It's totally, 100% FREE - along with the rest of NIN's latest album,
The Slip - available for download in multiple audio formats on the band's official website. Musically historical AND rockin'! Me likey!

8. The Roots -
Birthday Girl (feat. Patrick Stump)
This bonus track isn't exactly indicative of The Roots' signature sound. Thanks to Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump, it's got more of an alt-pop-indie-rock sound with hip-hop verses overlain, but... it's way too catchy; I just had to put it on here. The jumpy guitar is irresistible.

9. Fall Out Boy -
Beat It (feat. John Mayer)
Okay, it's not nearly as good as the original Michael Jackson version, but it's in here for the novelty factor. John Mayer takes on Eddie Van Halen's famous solo and doesn't come close, but I suspect he wasn't out to imitate - only to do his own thing, and it sounds cool.

10. Panic At The Disco -
Nine In The Afternoon
Although these kids may not know how to accurately read a clock, they do a decent impression of what might be created if Fall Out Boy mated with the remaining Beatles. All the bells and jangles remind me of the sixties-psychedelic-Beatles or perhaps E.L.O., but the vocals are a carbon copy of F.O.B.'s Patrick Stump. Derivative, but not without it's own charm.

11. Steve Winwood -
Dirty City (feat. Eric Clapton)
The old Blind Faith guys sneak onto the list with a pretty heavy groove. I dig the organ and the jagged, drawn out guitar jabs. Nothing amazing about this track, except that Steve Winwood still sounds great all these years later. Clapton is hardly noticeable, however.

12. Joe Satriani -
Andalusia
Although I couldn't find this track available for preview on Playlist.com in it's original format, you can can get the idea from this clip from Joe's website. It's my favorite from his latest effort,
Professor Satchafunkilus and The Musterion of Rock. There's a great, long intro with a very flamenco guitar thing going on, with the rhythmic clapping and all, and then things just get progressively heavier and heavier, all without any break in the rhythm. It's tight - very "Joe". Check it out.

13. Moby -
Ooh Yeah
Not his best, but still kinda catchy.

14. Lyrics Born -
I Like It, I Love It
The Bay Area legend (formerly known as Quannum) is back with his 2nd album and this single, which is almost identical to his first big single, "Callin' Out", from his last album. So, no points for originality, but if it ain't broke... right? This is just a fun, bouncy, hip-hop jam all about "wavin' 'em in the air like ya just don't care."

15. Radiohead - Bodysnatchers
Okay, so I was a little late on the band-wagon with Radiohead's latest release, but I think this was my favorite track from Rainbows. It rocks, and yet its deep, and kinda confusing, and never over-thought or over-produced. It's groovy.

16. John Mayer - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) [Live]
I recently discovered this old live track from John's underground live albums collection, As/Is. This is one of those songs I try to tell people about to help them disassociate their mental image of "John Mayer" as that "Daughers" or "Wonderland" guy. This is some amazing stuff. John, DJ Logic and Guru go to town on this old Marvin Gaye song and John's solos are simply ON FIRE! Although it's not on the Playlist.com preview above, you can guy it for a buck here on iTunes.

17. Counting Crows - Come Around
On an otherwise pretty dark album (Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings), this song was the final ray of sunshine that wrapped it all up with a happy ending.

18. VHS or Beta - Bring On The Comets
I must admit, I'm jealous of all those kids who get to associate this title track, from VHS or Beta's debut album, with their High School years. It's got that nostalgic, youthful, closing credits, graduation party, "we've-come-so-far-together" feel to it. Rock this one all alone in your car at full blast and you'll be singing along with the backing vocals of the chorus by the end of the song, for sure. Couldn't find it on Playlist.com, so go download it on iTunes here.

3 comments:

Reuven said...

Mike good idea on putting your mixes online. I haven't taken a listen yet but i know i like that coldplay song. Too bad if you watch ANY tv the song will get overplayed :(

Mike Wood said...

Lucky, I don't have cable in my room, and I haven't seen much TV lately.

Schwartzilla said...

I'll take credit for the Radiohead and Satriani songs, thank me very much!