Friday, January 23, 2009

Black Day For A Black Car

REST IN PEACE
'FUL BLST'
July 1, 2000 - January 22, 2009

A black band adorns my arm this week, as my loyal vehicle - the black, 1991 Mitsubishi 3000 GT - has been declared illegal to drive as it is a "gross polluter" in the eyes of the state of California. So, I'm legally not allowed to take it out on the road anymore. It's final trip will most likely be a ride to the scrap yard where its owner will be payed $1000 to have it recycled.

The way this all started is as follows: 3 years ago, the car just barely passed a smog check. "By the skin of your teeth" were the words of the smog tech guy at the shop. Here in California, every car has to pass a smog check once every two years in order to get a new registration. I knew after that test that it wouldn't pass another test.

On Wednesday - a full 3 years after the last smog check - I was pulled over by the Oceanside Police and my car was towed away. They told me that since my car was more than six months past registration expiration, they had the duty of removing my car from the road until it was made legal again. Like I said, I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen.

I was given a ride in the back of a squad car to the local DMV where I was charged $222 for various fees, the Oceanside Police department then took another $156 and a further $240 was the charge to get my car out of the impound. I then took it to a mechanic who took a detailed look and told me to forget it - short of a full engine overhaul, this car would never pass smog again.

So here we are at the end of an era. I always thought she'd go out in a blaze of glory, jumping train tracks while on fire and delivering some dying kid his 'Make A Wish' wish while evading evil villains and cutting them off as the train narrowly misses the bumper. But instead, ol' Blackey just gave me a solid 8 and a half years of loyal service, freedom and joy (except for all the maintenance she's needed), and after 18 years on the road, she's ready to call it a career.

Let's all imagine a 21-Gun salute for the ol' workhorse.

It's a sad, sad day.

"I thought we'd get to see forever, but forever's gone away."




9 comments:

Katie said...

I'll miss her...she was a sweet little ride...

mom said...

That piece makes me very sad. I know how much you loved her and how attached you get to things in your life. I'm sorry that her time has come and gone but I am delighted that you are still around to make more history.

Reuven said...

I can't believe the car is finally gone! Hopefully you don't have too much trouble finding a replacement...

Brad said...

Ful Blust was a great car - she will be missed

Mike Wood said...

BLUST?

Are we on COPS again? said...

Mike that sucks. I'me sorry to hear it.

Vanilla Ice said...

Very moving...I won't lie...I shed a tear...or several hundred. I can't wait to see the movie. Please tell me your next car will be Ful Blst II.

Mike Wood said...

That's too many letters, dude.

E said...

Ful Blst in peace